Around 150 years ago, in 1865, the citizens of Heidelberg experienced a sensation: after only two years of building, the Hôtel de l’Europe opened its doors to the public. Because of its high standards and comfort, the hotel attracted many visitors from afar – even during times when people still travelled in uncomfortable horse carriages. The restaurant ‘Kurfürstenstube’ is only a year younger than the already spectacular hotel: it opened its doors in 1866. Until today it is known for its high-class cuisine and service, but what astonishes guests the most are the ceiling’s wooden claddings and the inlaid works – most of them carved when the restaurant was built 150 years ago.